Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

Family Hylobatidae
 Genus Hylobates
Family Pongidae
 Genus Gorilla
 Genus Pongo
 Genus Pan
Family Hominidae
 Genus Homo

Family Hylobatidae
 Genus Bunopithecus
 Genus Hylobates
 Genus Nomascus
 Genus Symphalangus
Family Hominidae
Subfamily Ponginae
 Genus Pongo
Subfamily Homininae
 Genus Gorilla
 Genus Homo
 Genus Pan

as far as I can tell, these are two different cladograms *as well as* two different classifications.

That's the "great" thing about classifications: you can't tell a cladogram from them. Even under the -- nonexistant! -- requirement that every taxon be monophyletic, I could make up lots of phylogenetic trees compatible with one _or both_ classifications.

In the upper classification, though, Pongidae was paraphyletic. Not wrong -- paraphyletic.