Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

Anthony Docimo writes:
 > >Two traditional taxonomists might agree on the exact same
 > >phylogenetic hypothesis, but each could come up with different
 > >classification. Examples:
 > >
 > >Family Hylobatidae
 > >  Genus Hylobates
 > >Family Pongidae
 > >  Genus Gorilla
 > >  Genus Pongo
 > >  Genus Pan
 > >Family Hominidae
 > >  Genus Homo
 > >
 > >Family Hylobatidae
 > >  Genus Bunopithecus
 > >  Genus Hylobates
 > >  Genus Nomascus
 > >  Genus Symphalangus
 > >Family Hominidae
 > >Subfamily Ponginae
 > >  Genus Pongo
 > >Subfamily Homininae
 > >  Genus Gorilla
 > >  Genus Homo
 > >  Genus Pan
 >
 > as far as I can tell, these are two different cladograms *as well as* two
 > different classifications.

But you _can't_ tell, since traditional classifications are under no
obligation to follow cladograms!  That is an important reason to
prefer a cladistic approach to classification.

)_v__/\  "Hardliners are annoying because they can wield the purity of
         their convictions.  Moderates often have better ideas, they just
         can't express them as forcefully" -- Matt Wedel.