Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

> >Two traditional taxonomists might agree on the exact same
> >phylogenetic hypothesis, but each could come up with different
> >classification. Examples:
> >
> >Family Hylobatidae
> > Genus Hylobates
> >Family Pongidae
> > Genus Gorilla
> > Genus Pongo
> > Genus Pan
> >Family Hominidae
> > Genus Homo
> >
> >Family Hylobatidae
> > Genus Bunopithecus
> > Genus Hylobates
> > Genus Nomascus
> > Genus Symphalangus
> >Family Hominidae
> >Subfamily Ponginae
> > Genus Pongo
> >Subfamily Homininae
> > Genus Gorilla
> > Genus Homo
> > Genus Pan
>
> as far as I can tell, these are two different cladograms *as well as* two
> different classifications.

But you _can't_ tell,

you wrote two cladograms.

since traditional classifications are under no
obligation to follow cladograms!

well then solve that problem: invent a written language that is pictoral rather than abstract, one in which people can have sentances in cladograms.

 That is an important reason to
prefer a cladistic approach to classification.

More photos, more messages, more storage?get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507