Monotremes (was RE: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati))

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Anthony Docimo

> >>   Why would the mere fact that it goes on, condemn it?
> >
> >It doesn't. What condemns it is that it's meaningless.
>
> if you say "monotreme"/"monotrema", I know you're talking about a mammal
> that lays eggs rather than having live birth.

But only from the parochial view of the Neogene. We honestly don't know which
of the many diverse Mesozoic and Paleogene extinct
lineages of mammals (allotheres, eutriconodonts, docodonts, etc., etc.) were
egg-laying mammals but not monotremes (i.e., not part
of Monotremata).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117