Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

On 5/9/07, evelyn sobielski <koreke77@yahoo.de> wrote:

> On 5/8/07, evelyn sobielski <koreke77@yahoo.de> > wrote: > > > > Hmmm. Actually, Class is the only "Linnean" rank > where > > non-monophyly is a major problem. > > - Kingdoms: Monera, Protista > - Phylum-level*: Porifera, Crustacea (possibly), > Agnatha.... > - Ordinal-level: Saurischia, Prosauropoda, > Theropoda, Coelurosauria, > Artiodactyla, Insectivora, Dictyoptera, > Mecoptera.... > - Family-level*: Pongidae, Fabrosauridae, > Rhamphorhynchoidea.... > - Genera: Australopithecus, Chasmosaurus.... > * not technically "Linnaean", but...

Note "major". Meaning that it is *very* hard to
impossible to make classes monophyletic, but in most
other caases it is entirely possible. For example, one
might argue that Artiodactylata is a junior synonym of
Cetacea.

Gazelles as cetaceans .... gah ....

Or, to preserve them, move taxa about.
Porifera, split in two. What happened to the
Insectivora is a case in point.

Well, feel free to do a poll of the literature, but it seems to me this sort of thing happens at every rank level (40% of all kingdoms, in some schemes, for example!). And as long as you require that every species belong to one of every rank, it's unavoidable. Consider: if Class Reptilia is paraphyletic, excluding Class Aves, then that means that the last reptilian ancestor of avians would need its own paraphyletic subclass, infraclass, superorder, order, suborder, infraorder, superfamily, family, subfamily, tribe, subtribe, genus, and subgenus (to say nothing of more obscure ranks)!

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology