RE: Classification: A Definition

For the Monotremata example, Mammalia is a clade inside Synapsida, just as Monotremata is a clade inside Mammalia. Thus, by extension, Monotremata is a clade (one of many) inside Synapsida. The source of confusion for Anthony Docimo, as far as I can tell, is that he is assuming that the word "monotreme" is supplanted by "synapsid". This is conceptually incorrect.

actually, that wasn't what I was asking....I was reminded that not all egg-laying mammals could be classed as monotremes -- so I asked if they could be classed as synapsids. (as just calling them "mammals" would just confuse some kids)

hope that clarifies things; thanks for the reference.

PC Magazine?s 2007 editors? choice for best Web mail?award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507