RE: Dinosaur Diversity

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> L N
>
> I am working on correlating the extent of rock outcrops of terrestrial
> sediments of the Jurassic and Cretaceous with
> diversity curves of the dinosauria during this period. Does anyone know of
> the most up to date electronic database for
> the diversity of the dinosauria? Perhaps with additional data on the
> country/countries of origin for each species?? And
> who I need to contact to obtain access?
>
>   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have not done so, make certain you look at previous work (now way out of
date!) related to this by Haubold (1990):
HAUBOLD, H. 1990. Dinosaurs and fluctuating sea levels during the Mesozoic.
Historical Biology 4:75-106.

As for electronic databases: the Paleobiology Database
(http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl) includes in its records the Weishampel
et al. chapter on distributions from Dinosauria 2nd Edition. You can check with
Matt Carrano at the Smithsonian for more details: he
is responsible for getting that data into the files.

Good luck, and I will be very interested in your results.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117
                College Park, MD  20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796>