Re: Classification: A Definition

David Marjanovic wrote:

Incidentally, I don't think the cytoskeleton comes from spirochaetes. All bacteria and archaea have a homolog of the tubulins (FtsZ) which performs a pretty similar function in the same way. That's taught these days in the cell biology lecture third-semester students of molecular biology are expected to take. (It was, of course, discovered long after Margulis came up with her idea... does she even still hold it?)

Apparently. Check out:

Margulis, L., M. Chapman, R. Guerrero, and J. Hall. 2006. The last eukaryotic common ancestor (LECA): Acquisition of cytoskeletal motility from aerotolerant spirochetes in the Proterozoic Eon. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 103(35):13080-13085.

It seems unlikely that we've heard the last on this topic.

Cheers

Col

-- ***************** Colin McHenry School of Environmental and Life Sciences (Geology) University of Newcastle Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia Tel: +61 2 4921 5404 Fax: + 61 2 4921 6925