Re: The PhyloCode will not address the naming of species (Was The Papers That Ate Cincinnati)

Mike Keesey wrote:

But, on another note, if we understand "Mirandornithes" to *mean* "the flamingo-grebe clade", >then the recognition that other groups also belong should not invalidate it.

True. But Sangster clearly *intended* for Mirandornithes to be limited to grebes and flamingoes. The clade was erected solely to emphasise the (perceived) unique relationship between the two.

To my way of thinking (and I could be wrong here), the only way to guarantee that Mirandornithes can *only* include grebes and flamingoes is to have multiple external specifiers drawn from every neognath 'order' outside of Podicipediformes and Phoenicopteriformes.

One way to avoid Mirandornithes becoming a heterodefinitional synonym of Neoaves would be to amend the definition to include one neoavian taxon as an external specifier (_Passer_ would work). Mirandornithes might include several bird 'orders' (including grebes and flamingoes), but it would never swallow up the entire Neoaves.

Cheers

Tim

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You?ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507