RE: Fw: Monotremes

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Anthony Docimo

> >Nomenclature is not abolished... only ranks stop being necessary.
>
> then what is the nomenclature?

The nomenclature is a set of names, which in this case are in a nested
hierarchy.

Ranks are a set of additional concepts added to those names, without any
diagnosable attribute.

So a nomenclature still exists in which:
Reptilia
        Diapsida
                Archosauria
                        Dinosauria
                                Saurischia
                                        Theropoda
                                                Coelurosauria
                                                        Aves

but it doesn't include the rank concepts, which used to run something like:
Class Reptilia
        Subclass Diapsida
                Superorder Archosauria
                        ???order Dinosauria
                                Order Saurischia
                                        Suborder Theropoda
                                                Infraorder Coelurosauria
                                                        Class Aves

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117
                College Park, MD  20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796>