Re: Cope?s Rule in the Pterosauria - Hone & Benton 2007

Quoting Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>:

Mike Taylor wrote:

                I rather think the purpose of Hone and Benton's serier of
papers is to
_investigate_ whether Cope's rule works in clades, using, y'know,
_evidence_ and stuff.

I found this paragraph interesting (from the end of the Discussion)....

"...Further, there was always a substantial size gap between the largest birds and the smallest birds at any time. The suggestion that birds somehow drove the pterosaurs towards large size, and perhaps to final extinction, is currently not supported."

That should read "a substantial size gap between the largest birds and the smallest *pterosaurs*," right?

--
Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land