Re: Zallinger Murals

In a message dated 5/20/2007 2:11:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
keesey@gmail.com writes:
<< I would have thought it was because most  diagrams/illustrations/grids
show time going left to right. However (as David  Marjanovic pointed
out), at the Peabody you enter the room at the right edge  of the
mural, so the usual direction was reversed. (Or did he do the  mock-up
in the usual direction before seeing the space, and then flip it  when
he executed it?) >>

Very confusing. Life magazine flipped it. The  original mock-up or cartoon
(as it is called by muralists) runs right to left  time-wise. In order to make
sense in a magazine with fold-out illustrations, it  was flipped to run left to
right in "The World We Live In". Zallinger's normal  signature was added
later in the lower Carboniferous in the magazine's  reproduction. It's easy to
tell the cartoon ( 209.6 cm X 30.8 cm or 82 1/2" X 12  1/8") from the full-size
mural. The vegetation is much more developed and lush.  I wish we could obtain
a hi-res image of the completed mural but I've heard that  the Apatosaurus
skeleton there is in the way, so we have to settle for bits and  pieces of the
final product..
Here's a nifty shot of  Zallinger and the mural when it was a monochrome
underpainting. The color paint  was added later. I believe I'm correct in all
this, but Mike Skrepnick would  probably be the authority here. DV

http://www.yale.edu/peabody/archives/ypmmurals.html