Re: Kronosauras jaws

Dann Pigdon wrote:
Ravenstar writes:
Hi everyone , Im doing a sculpt of a kronosauras and I was wondering if anyone knows if the jaws and teeth interlock? like a Crocs does or do those front large teeth keep the middel and rear of the month some what open when closed?
unlikely - it could probably seal its mouth (as with a modern croc)
hope that makes sinces. quick replys would be greatly helpful.

I doubt there's enough 'actual' material of the jaws to tell for certain. The Harvard mount is mostly a plaster fantasy.
There are at least three complete and numerous partial skulls in the QM
collections.  Overall, the skull looks pretty similar to that of
Liopleurodon (the version reconstructed by Noe, not the WWD one).  The
skull of Kronosaurus is most similar to Brachauchenius.

There's a reasonable accurate reconstruction of Dan Varner of
Brachauchenius at the Oceans of Kansas pages;
http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Brachauch.html

John Conway's picture is also accurate:
http://palaeo.jconway.co.uk/object.php?title=Kronosaurus_and_Leptocleidus&objectid=44

Also, the pictures generated by National Geographic magazine for their
Sea Monsters special are fairly accurate with respect to the skull.

There's plenty of good material in that (Harvard) mount (about 60% complete), it's
just mostly covered in plaster. Nothing a CT scan couldn't fix...

Cheers
Col
Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com