Re: Limb Evolution - "Old" genes

Jeff and list,

Nice story. I noticed this (Jeff's words):
The paddlefish /Polyodon spathula/ is often referred to as a "living fossil", an organism that is similar to no known species apart from fossils.

I hadn't come across this way of thinking about living fossils before, but it's an interesting one. There have been lots of attempts to define this term. This one would certainly make /Latimeria /a living fossil, but not /Crocodylus/. All good so far. So where does it leave /Carcharias, Hexanchus, Sphenodon, Lingula/? What about the Wollemi pine? I guess it's all in how you use the word 'similar'.

Has anyone got a definition of Living Fossil that they think works?

Also, check out the enlarged version cartillainous stain of the paddlefish - does that thing look like a shark (especially in the tail) or what?

Cheers
Col

Jeff Hecht wrote:
I wrote a news story for New Scientist