Re: Hone and Benton 2007 (their second paper)

Michael Habib wrote:

Well, I was suggesting that the might grip the ground somewhat (laterally) while pushing off. [snip]
Thus, the manual claws would be under that much less selection for terrestrial function (and that much more free for predation functions, etc).

This reminds me of another question I had. (Keep in mind that I'm not very knowledgeable about pterosaur aerodynamics, so bear with me...) Certain pterosaurs (e.g., _Dimorphodon_) appear to have grasping adaptations in the feet, including similar phalangeal proportions to arboreal birds (Clark et al., 1998). So it's been suggested that these pterosaurs were capable of climbing. If true, how would a pterosaur launch itself from a tree? Having both grasping manual and pedal claws would allow the pterosaur to grip the tree with all four limbs, but how would it launch itself into the air?

Reference

Clark, J.M., J.A. Hopson, R.Hernandez, D.E. Fastovsky, and M. Montellano (1998) Foot posture in a primitive pterosaur. Nature 391: 886-889.

Cheers

Tim

PC Magazine?s 2007 editors? choice for best Web mail?award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507