Re: Evidence for bat predation on birds

To change the subject slightly, and take advantage of list expertise, what is max altitude for bats (flight, habitat)?

Don

Good question; do you mean maximum observed altitude or maximum expected based on planform and mass?

The maximum observed altitude would, I think, be that recorded for molossid bats during long distance foraging. I don't know what the figure is off the top of my head, but I can find it easily enough (perhaps someone onlist has it handy). Maximum altitude expected from morphology and flight dynamic is going to be trickier... I'm not sure what that would be for bats without doing some calculations.

I'll look up that molossid tracking work and get the altitude report as soon as I have a chance.

Cheers,

--Mike H.