Re: Platypuses may be older than we think...

----- Original Message ----- From: "K and T Dykes" <ktdykes@arcor.de>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 1:27 PM

As somebody or other informed me from their book, I think it was Kemp 2005, the dentary of this critter was also getting extremely close to the joint with the skull (aka the squamosal), and this especially applies for what are probably juveniles. I might as well snip in a bit from some throughly dubious webpage or other.

By Self MY

:-D

Also of interest could be Martinelli and Rougier (2007) on /Chaliminia/, a friend of Probaino. Page 447 contains: "A distinct dentary condyle is not visible in this specimen nor in the holotype, but the morphology of the condylar process suggests some participation of the dentary in the cranio-mandibular joint. The cranio-mandibular joint is located above the level of the tooth row."

M & R (2007), On /Chaliminia musteloides/ (Eucynodontia: Tritheledontidae) from the Late Triassic of Argentina, and a phylogeny of Ictidosauria, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 27(2), p.442-460 (the paper involves more tinkering with trithes, a popular sport at the moment).

Yep, Tritheledontidae is closer to us than Tritylodontidae is. Also according to the supp. inf. of the *Pseudotribos* paper (103 taxa and a new record of 445 characters):

+--*Thrinaxodon*
`--+--*Massetognathus*
  `--+--*Probainognathus*
     `--+--tritylodontids
        `--+--*Pachygenelus* (a tritheledontid)
           `--+--*Adelobasileus*
              |--*Sinoconodon*
              `--+--+--*Morganucodon*
                 |  `--*Megazostrodon*
                 `--+--Docodonta, *Hadrocodium*, and crown-group

This paper also brings us back to the topic of this thread: the phylogenetic position of Tachyglossa.

Yinotheria (one half of the crown-group... is the other half called Yangotheria? That word does not occur in the supp. inf..)
|--Shuotheriidae
| |--*Shuotherium*
| `--*Pseudotribos*
`--Australosphenida
|--*Asfaltomylos*
`--+--*Ambondro*
`--+--*Ausktribosphenos*
|--*Bishops*
`--+--*Steropodon*
`--+--*Teinolophos*
`--+--*Tachyglossus*
`--+--*Obdurodon*
`--*Ornithorhynchus*

*Monotrematum* and *Kollikodon* are not included.

Outside of Yinotheria, *Fruitafossor* is included, but *Volaticotherium* and the New Zealand mammal are not.

All character were unordered. Grmpf, grmpf, grmpf...

As source for part of the characters, the supp. inf. cites "Luo et al. in press". This is not in the references. But I suppose we can already start waiting for the next new Mesozoic mammal... :-)