From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
David Marjanovic
Sent: 03 November 2007 00:13
To: DML
Subject: Re: ...intriguing theory on WHAT REALLY KILLED THE DINOSAURS

> http://www.brojon.org/frontpage/WHAT_REALLY_KILLED_THE_DINOSAURS.html

Forget about it, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about (...and what's
worse, he clearly doesn't know _that_ he doesn't know what he's talking
about). For example, "the shift from gymnosperms to angiosperms" happened 40
million years earlier than he claims. Also, cyclostratigraphy shows that the
Milankovic cycles (of the tilting of the Earth's axis and other stuff)
started much longer ago... I know of terminal Permian evidence for
Milankovic cycles...

> Sorry but I have just got in from the pub, but surely the KT story is of
> continental drift, massive volcanism and the KT impact.

What continental drift? Nothing spectacular at all happened at that time. No
birth or death of an ocean, no first or last contact between continents,
nothing.

> There is no silver bullet.

No, but there is _the bomb_.

A few equations for you:

volume of a sphere = (4*pi*r^3)/3
r = 5 to 6 km
mass = volume x density
average density of rock... look it up
kinetic energy = (m*v^2)/2 -- that's right, half the mass times _the square
of velocity_
velocity of something that drops from the sky... thousands of km per second

Do the math, and then remember all that kinetic energy turns to heat upon
impact.

Kablooie.