RE: Where to find Paleontological journals/scientific writings

> > Romer's 'Osteology of the reptiles', 'Vertebrate palaeontology' and
> > the 'Vertebrate body'(Parsons co-authors in later
> editions), are older
> > books , but good illustrations and good starting point for
> getting a
> > broad understanding of anatomy of various groups
> (phylogenetic info has aged).
>
> The phylogenetic info is of historical interest...
>
> > Other textbooks:
> > Carroll's 'Patterns and process of vertebrate evolution' and
> > 'vertebrate paleontology and evolution' are worth looking at.
>
> Updates of Romer's books, but not recent ones. Again more of
> historical interest.

Hard to find more comrprehensive vertebrate anatomy texts than Romer's and
Carroll's.

> There is a book by Kenneth Kardong on vertebrate anatomy. It
> is more neontologically oriented, but at least it's recent.

Yeah, not bad - only recently got a copy so can't comment too much, but does
seem to cram a lot in

> > colour coding of skull elements through evolution from fish to
> > mammals.
>
> Wow! I must get a look at this book!

That's:
Liem, Bemis, Walker and Grande (2001) 'Functional anatomy of te vertebrates'
Interestingly was one of two textbooks (I think the other was Pough?) that
Kevin Padian singled out from all the competitors as doing a better job at
getting the idea of evolution across in his talk on first day at SVP.

Now, to be clear it's not every element a different colour (Chapter 7), they
colour code groups of elements based on their developmental origins:
dermatocranium (blue), mandibular arch (green), hyoid arch (purple) other
visceral arches (yellow) and dermal bones pink. I found it very helpful. I
must point out Table 7-1 on p285 that allows you to cross reference which
ancestral early tetrapod bones are homologous with those the derived bones
in mammals. (I'm not an expert (yet) so I can't vouch that it's all
correct). I'd love to see more examples of additional species skulls in more
views, but it's a great start. There's informative illustrated vignettes
along the way on the evolution of the ear, jaw muscles, nasal passages...

> > For finding scientific literature:
> > Online databases (usually abavailable through uni libraries and othe
> > institutions) like 'Web of Science', 'Biological
> Abstract/Biosis', and
> > 'Zoological Record', and similar geological databases cover a good
> > deal of the literature...
>
> Bah. Take the DML posts with "new paper" in the title and
> then look what you can get.

Good point.

Cheers,
Chris Glen