Re: What do you hate about dino-docs?

Thinking about anthropamorphization...ow, that hurt to type...and also being in the business of storytelling, I think the central problem is that a good character must have two opposing desires. That is, in a Syd Fields and Robert McCee sense, an unconscious desire and a conscious desire: A Want and a Need. In "The Bear" it seemed he WANTED a family but NEEDED to rely on himself for survival. A classic coming of age tale. Often, when dino docs feel forced is when the dinosaur has a moment of decision and is torn between its instincts and its (well...our guilt ridden and fearful) reasonable thoughts.
Prehistoric Planet had some great story telling, but was also the most humanized doc of them all.

Once again, no real questions here, just observations.

David Krentz