Re: What do you hate about dino-docs?

I remember a long time ago I saw an slide based advertisement at the Sydney Imax Theatre saying
it was coming soon. It just showed the book cover (Raptor Silhouette against Sunset).

Maybe some Imax Production company has it.

Would make an interesting film - provided they didn't talk and have lips. "Dinosaur" anyone? (sorry David!) ;-)

Chris Harris

John Scanlon wrote:
Anthropomorphism is of course usually bogus, especially in stories for
children (the old Disney paradigm), but at least some animals do have (or
potentially have) life stories or episodes that embody real drama. These may
include: Life-or-death struggles among rivals or against predators,
courtship and parental care, other long-term recurrent interactions among
individuals, exploration of unfamiliar territory, behavioural innovation in
response to novel resources or to overcome a specific handicap (e.g.
injury), social interactions (including play) among family members, other
conspecifics, and individuals and groups of mixed-species communities.
That's already plenty to build stories around without anthropomorphizing
unduly, as long as you pick a species/community that isn't too boring. I can
only think of one example where this was really well done for dinosaurs,
Bakker's 'Raptor Red' (some people automatically hated it because it was
Bakker, but people are like that). I wonder who owns the film rights?  It's
probably a good thing it wasn't filmed in the 90's, because now it could be
done with feathers!

Dr John D. Scanlon, FCD
Palaeontologist, Riversleigh Fossil Centre, Outback at Isa
19 Marian Street / PO Box 1094
Mount Isa QLD 4825
AUSTRALIA
Ph: 07 4749 1555