Re: Mats and boles, relatively? (bipedism)

Not just vertebrate morphology: competition for height
led to the evolution of woody plants even before
vertebrates arrived on land.  Thus, an arena of
competition among vertebrates was ready and waiting
for them.  As speculation, this arena may have favored
endoskeletons over exoskeletons.

Glen Ledingham