RE: Nigersaurus and the beaks

Sebastian Apesteguia wrote:

> Yes,
> as Mike says, Bonitasaura also had a keratinooous
> sheath that covered the cheeks (Jeff does not
> necessarily agree with this). We can or not consider
> this as a beak? Not sure, but it was a ramphoteca
> anyway.

As Sebastian explains in the paper, the rhamphotheca would have sheathed the
"guillotine-like" mandibular crest.  Incipient guillotines could have been
present in _Antarctosaurus_ and _Rapetosaurus_ as well.  _Antarctosaurus_ also
had the wide, flaring snout of _Bonitasaura_ - which is why some authors
thought that _Antarctosaurus_ was a chimera, with the diplodocoid-like lower
jaw and the titanosaur-like braincase each coming from a different sauropod.

Cheers

Tim
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007