RE: archaic ungulates survive boundary events

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of T. Michael Keesey
>
> > Previously thought to be part of post-acopalypse adaptive
> radiation, archaics are now known from the late Cretaceous of India!
>
> Link: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/318/5852/937
>
> Since "Ungulata" is a polyphyletic group, what does this
> actually mean? What, exactly, is _Kharmerungulatum_? (I can't
> access the
> paper.)

Although they do not do a phylogenetic analysis, they place it as closest to
_Protungulatum_. Following Wible et al. (Nature 447:1003-1006,
doi:10.1038/nature05854), this would place it outside of Placentalia proper
(i.e., it would be a non-placentalian eutherian).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/