Re: archaic ungulates survive boundary events

On Nov 21, 2007 10:19 AM, evelyn sobielski <koreke77@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Ungulates polyphyletic - not necessarily so, if you
> include cetaceans. Neither hypothesis (Ferungulata vs
> Ungulata - basically, horses closer to carnivores vs
> horses closer to cows and whales) is exactly robustly
> supported and the material evidence is all but
> nonexistent.

Well, yes, but then you also have to exclude the afrothere ungulates.
And where are notoungulates coming out these days? I have no idea.

"Ungulate" is really more of an ecomorph than anything else, it seems
to me. And if some "condylarths" are stem-placentals (as Tom Holtz
mentioned), then that's yet another case of this ecomorph arising
independently.

I've gotten the paper from a couple of people now -- thanks!

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology