Xianlong skull reconstruction

Tracing the skull was difficult until I discovered, it's not the colors on the fossil skull that differentiate the bones from the matrix. The contrasting tones and colors represent skin, scales and such. Essentially it's the embossed shapes of the scattered bones beneath those overlying materials that tell the tale. As reported, the phalanges have unossified ends, so again, it's the shapes. Dare I say, I used Photoshop?

No surprise, Xianlong is not what they think it is.

And don't go completely by Colbert's reconstruction of Icarosaurus for comparison. A few problems there, rectified here.

Anyone wanting to privately correspond on this is welcome to.

All for now.

David Peters
St. Louis

Pi-Peng Li*, Ke-Qin Gao}, Lian-Hai Hou*, and Xing Xu* PNAS | March 27, 2007 | vol. 104 | no. 13 | 5507-5509 http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/104/13/5507