Re: attack on dinosaur--horrific video

OK...but the ways in which they were different may have had far reaching
consequences. The big one, in my view, was that the dinosaurs had to become
sedentary one or more times a year. If they were unable to outdistance
other dinosaurs, then they would have to defend their nests. This by itself
provided a selective advantage for even larger size, and all the ecological
effects that came with it.

Then we should see a driven trend to larger size throughout the Mesozoic, shouldn't we?

Because... it's somewhat disingenuous to refer to my still unpublished M.Sc. thesis, the dataset of which needs to be expanded and the methods of which need to be drastically improved... but I don't see such a trend so far.

(example, value for predation protection in lizards, vs., predator
protection _plus_ producing a better-baked baby in wilderbeest).

Is vivipary any good for protection from predators? The marsupial method seems to be better for than than the placental one. If a gravid wildebeest is chased by a lion, mother and fetus die. If a kangaroo with a pouch young is chased by a dingo, the joey dies alone, because of that special muscle in the pouch... while the waiting embryo resumes development, resulting in a net loss of nothing but a few weeks or months. As an r-strategy, placental reproduction sucks bigtime.

And...my head hurts. I know we go back and forth on these issues...I, too,
enjoy the discussions...and I have aired my views too many times as is. My
excuse this time is the amazing video of the subject line...it graphically
demonstrates the problem of a non-concealed, non-remote nest.

In animals that don't know what a mouse is.