Re: attack on dinosaur--horrific video

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Johansson" <andreasj@gmail.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: attack on dinosaur--horrific video

Shouldn't we also see a driven trend to larger size in Cenozoic
oviparous amniotes?

My point is that today, at least, this strategy is not viable...otherwise we would, indeed, see it. But crocs are the _only_ oviparous species that "choose" defense over concealment and remote laying. Concealment carries selection on _small_ size; whereas remote laying selects for long distance flying.

I'm not seeing why egg-predation by placentalians would affect
mesozoic dinosaurs differently from other egg-laying amniotes.

Not just placentals...but, anyway...birds can conceal and fly to out-of-the-way places; crocs are just special; snakes and lizards conceal (usually); turtles generally lay in out-of-the-way places and swamp predators.