From: don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:16:32 PM
Subject: Re: attack on dinosaur--horrific video

"First, I am primarily interested in the ecological considerations of
 various
strategies--regardless of their mass extinction impact...this interest
doesn't go away and has fueled, I think, some interesting hypotheses:
 e.g.,
dinosaurs were big because they had to defend nests." -- bois

Probabilities are additive, and an equation that quantified the
 advantages of size would have a lot of terms in it; as nest defense would be
 but a presumably seasonal sub-term in the predator avoidance clause, and
 there are many situations where physical defense of the nest is moot,
 I don't see how it could be deemed a primary vector in size increase.

Further, it is not clear to me that large size for either predator or
 prey is a likely advantage for nest predation. For predators, once
 talent is sufficient to breach the fortress of the eggshell, I would think
 large size would be a disadvantage, rather than the reverse. Large
 mosquitoes are easier to swat than small ...

For prey, large size might also present tactical problems. I wonder how
 a herd of sauropod equivalents can defend a position against rat-sized
 creatures. The eggs would be doomed, either to crushing or ingestion.

On the extinction side, it is definitely interesting to speculate that
 since rodents probably first appeared near K/Pg, basal rodents may have
 found that incisors were the ideal tool for breaching eggs, and dinos
 (at least some species) may have found the combination of small size
 and prolificity overwhelming. I don't see it rising to best-fit cartoon
 status, though, much less falsifiable hypothesis, especially in the
 (apparent) absence of rodent-gnawed eggshell.

[Clarification sidebar -- I don't use "cartoon" here as a derogatory
 term. I try to use it instead of "scenario" in my own musings to make it
 clear that I am NOT advancing a formal hypothesis. In other words, to
 make it clear that I am claiming (at that point) testability. Nor do I
 (obviously) agree w/ the "rule" that testable hypotheses, or
 observations leading thereto, are the only items fit for scientific discussion
in
 the realm of 'biospheric history'. In the absence of a testable
 hypothesis, cartoons must be ranked by parsimony (due to the fact
 mutation/selection is the under-lying null), and the most parsimonious receives
 "best-fit" status. However, I have NEVER subsequently elevated (barring
 possible mis-speak), or advocated elevating, "best-fit cartoon" to "null
 hypothesis"! Even though some folks evidently assume that I did and/or
 would. Heh -- or as others, some of whom must not be quoted on DML, do
 indeed advocate doing.]

Don

PS -- I guess a sauropod herd could encircle a nest site,
 shoulder-to-shoulder and heads pointing inward, sweeping the sandy beach w/
lashing
 tails, while hoovering any rapacious hairy egg-suckers that make
 through the 'outer wall' (finally those necks and tails make perfect sense,
 lol). Hard to maintain 24/7, though. Even if they could keep it up "as
 long as they bloody well wanted to" ... -- Don, again.