Re: Nigersaurus: the complete picture

Er.  Why would we assume that this was evolved in basal diplodocoids
and then lost in flagellicaudatans, rather than that it is apopmorphic
for rebbachisaurids (or indeed just for Nigersaurus)?

It's currently equally parsimonious either way, AFAIK: either it evolved once at the base of Diplodocoidea and was then lost at the base of Diplodocidae (two steps); or it evolved convergently in Rebbachisauridae and in Dicraeosauridae (two steps). What have I missed?