[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]
Fossil Preparator position at LACM
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County seeks a Paleontological
Preparator to work with our Research and Collections Vertebrate Paleontology
division. The Paleontological Preparator performs skilled and technical work
involved with the preparation, stabilization and restoration of fossils
necessary for exhibition (to scientific study standards). This position
requires minimal supervision and may supervise student workers, and volunteers.
This position has the following requirements:
* One year experience in the preparation of fossils.
* Completion of a four-year college degree program. Courses in geology,
biology or relevant technical arts or fine arts in an accredited college or
recognized trade school will be accepted for one year of required experience.
* Must maintain a California Class "C" driver license and be able to operate
manual transmission, 4-wheel drive vehicles.
* Must demonstrate knowledge of biological morphology and taxonomy, field
geological practices, casting and molding techniques, safe and proper use of
laboratory equipment and shop tools, and standard museum specimen conservation
and curation practices.
* Unique tools include miniature jackhammers (zip scribes) and air abrasive
machines (miniature sand blasters).
* Must demonstrate interpersonal skills necessary to work with volunteers and
provide instruction to students and adults of all ages and backgrounds.
* Excellent oral and written English skills required
* Occasionally works with non-fossilized specimens.
* Extended periods of stooping, bending, and standing in the preparation of
* May be required to wear a respirator with the use of chemicals for specimen
* Must work under following lab conditions: Resin fumes, dust, various
chemicals including formic acid, polyester resin, acetone, use sharp objects
and assist with lifting heavy objects (seventy-five plus pounds).
This is a part time, temporary, non-exempt, overtime eligible position.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is
filled. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and contact
information for three references to: Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
County, Attn: Human Resources PaeloPrep, 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
90007-4057. You may also fax to 213-765-4951 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the position title or code in the subject line.
Aisling B. Farrell
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Tel: (213) 763-3519