Re: Monster find at Hell Creek

De-lurking for a moment.....Looks like a patch of Caloplaca/ Candelariella to me. (a Lichen crust that grows on sandstones in the American West). Nice pattern resembling a three toed track though. I see dragon shapes in clouds sometimes too. Now granted the photo may not do it 3-D justice and my eyesight is not what it used to be...... Maybe the depressions collected moisture enabling lichen to grow and be happy there. I would indicate that this surface indicated appears to me muddy and cracked and not on a well indurated sandstone that would well preserve such a print.. The black lichen is probably Lecidea atrobrunnea Hummmmm.
Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming