Re: something's wrong here: Qianosuchus phylogeny

On 8/31/07, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> You're right that using supraspecific OTUs greatly increases the risk of
> screwing up. It doesn't guarantee screwing up, however. I'm currently
> working on a paper that (as a side effect) will... probably show this to
> most people's satisfaction.

There is nothing magical with the (morpho-)species level here. Couple
of years ago, SciAm printed a cladogram with _H. erectus_ and _H.
sapiens_ as sister species: very fine, except putting them in as
unitary taxa assumes a priori that the former isn't paraphyletic with
regard to the later.

--
Andreas Johansson