Re: Introducing Mahakala omnogovae, little dromaeosaurid of Mongolia

> > Given the size of the basal members of each clade
> ((Archaeopteryx +
> > Jeholornis) + Pygostylia);  (Mei + Sinovenator) +
> Jinfengopteryx;
> > Mahalaka),
> > the basal eumaniraptoran would seem to be a small
> Archaeopteryx-sized
> > critter.
>
> Not just "seem". They calculate that using a
> sophisticated method that is...
> completely different from that used in Laurin 2004
> (body size evolution of,
> uh, limbed vertebrates, Devonian to Middle Permian,
> Systematic Biology) and
> my M.Sc. thesis. :-o Will be interesting to compare.
> It apparently doesn't
> take branch lengths into account.

One can hardly withhold a satisfied grin seeing how it
all starts to fall into place. This year and the next,
I think, stand good chances to bring the sort of
breakthrough for stem theropod (and possibly stem
dino) phylogeny that the last 2 years brought for
crown dinos.

Now (as regards this user), if an associated skeleton
of that wretched _Gallornis_ would turn up *please*...
(_Torotix_ wouldn't be too shabby either. Or for
something more realistic: a _Gansus_ skull.) :D

Eike

Kennt man wirklich jeden über 3 Ecken? Die Antworten gibt's bei Yahoo! Clever.
www.yahoo.de/clever