sauropod

I haven't notice mention of this here sauropod from Argentina on the list,
and nor has the person who mentioned it to me.  Why the world should have
played host to a large sauropod during the Upper Cretaceous is a mystery to
me.  Mammals would've been more stylish.  Anyway, those familiar with both
the Mapuche language and the ins and outs of Argentinian energy companies
will immediately recognise the sense behind the name, /Futalognkosaurus
dukei/.  The generic bit means 'giant chief reptile' and the Duke in
specific question is the Duke Energy Argentina Company, who sponsored the
excavation.

The pdf is presently available on-line:
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/aabc/v79n3/a13v79n3.pdf
Calvo JO, Porfiri JD, Gonzalez-Riga BJ & Kellner WA (2007), A new Cretaceous
terrestrial ecosystem from Gondwana with the description of  a new sauropod
dinosaur, Annals of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences, 79(3), p.529-541.

While much of the pelvis, rib cage and neck of a 30+ metre gardener
apparently caught the eye, I'm sure the authors would've preferred to find a
millimetre long dryolestoid mammal molar or some such, and I hope their
disappointment over their new friend isn't all too great.  They estimate its
length at between 32-34 metres.