RE: Introducing Mahakala omnogovae, little dromaeosaurid of Mongolia

Michael Mortimer (mickey_mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<Much like Avialae, the TWG matrix was never designed to find relationships
within Oviraptoridae.>

  That there seems to be little consistency in topology whenever ANY
oviraptorosaurian tree is published, I find that no one is really looking as
deeply as they could. I also think this is largely due to the absence of
detailed analyses of crania and postcrania, since very few oviraptorosaurs are
described in full. This is not the case, for contrasting example, with
Tyrannosauroidea.

  *Oviraptor philoceratops* and *Rinchenia mongoliensis* do share a character
to the exclusion of all other oviraptorids, being the presence of an elevated
parietal midline crest. This implies, as has been speculated by Norell et al.,
that both possess an elongated midline crest reaching from the premaxillae to
the occiput. This has also been applied to the Hell Creek "caenagnathid,"
Sandy. This may imply the crest is basal.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.