Re: Testing Unenlagiinae

> Me three -- but bootstrapping a tree of that size
> takes _months_. As in,
> having a computer that does _nothing else_ 24/7 for
> months. The time
> required for bootstrapping increases, I think,
> exponentially with the number
> of taxa. I bet that's why Turner et al. didn't
> bootstrap their tree (and got
> a Science paper out of it anyway).

I just happened across this:

DOI: 10.2988/0006-324X(2007)120[232:MGFAGP]2.0.CO;2

Meta-trees: Grafting for a Global Perspective
V.A. Funka, Chelsea D. Specht
"Assembling phylogenetic trees for groups of organisms
with thousands of taxa is problematic because of the
large amount of data and trees that must be generated
and analyzed. Several attempts have been made to
develop a better way to handle the problems of large
trees. Meta-trees (Meta Supertrees) are suggested as a
way to generate a phylogeny for groups where you have
many different data sets of overlapping but not
identical sets of taxa and without a common set of
markers. Meta-trees graft phylogenies onto a fixed
base tree and avoid the problems of missing or
redundant data and misplaced taxa that plague other
types of supertrees"

Regards,

Eike

      ________
Yahoo! Clever: Stellen Sie Fragen und finden Sie Antworten. Teilen Sie Ihr
Wissen. www.yahoo.de/clever