Re: Ameghiniana

Mike Taylor writes:

This is great, but does anyone know how to persuade Google Books to
deliver a PDf rather than forcing you to use their stupid browser UI
to read?  For example, the paper describing _Argentinosaurus_ is at
http://books.google.com/books?id=kE_5l7yiGY4C&pg=PA271&dq=Ameghiniana+gigantesco+sauropodo&sig=L_y-Rw5iB7hGtGs3JZ8Iihl6RIU
but it's not much use in that form.

For the last several years, I've been working on building a collection of original papers that introduce new dinosaur or pterosaur genera. (Perhaps a lofty goal for an enthusiast with limited access and resources, but it makes it all the more enjoyable when I add one to the set!) My wife works in the publishing industry, so I can see both sides of these accessibility issues, but I agree that it's frustrating not to be able to nab an elusive paper when it's staring you in the face. Certainly there's a lot more utility if they're portable. Nonetheless, I'm happy for whatever access I can get. For those of you listers in a similar situation (CyborgCompy, perhaps?), you might have an interest in these other initial descriptions that fall within the available range of Ameghiniana offerings at Google Books:

Andesaurus

http://books.google.com/books?id=hqDVeF8W8OkC&pg=PA303&dq=Ameghiniana+Andesaurus+dinosaurio+titanosauridae&sig=vStr0GCD_gui3ibL-FkWNatQ3Po

Amargasaurus

http://books.google.com/books?id=hqDVeF8W8OkC&pg=PA333&dq=Ameghiniana+Amargasaurus+cazaui+nuevo&sig=JfA7OpbXAfBqhhyiNcmjimQQw_g

Lessemsaurus

http://books.google.com/books?id=tHrWUvXqVegC&pg=PA115&dq=Ameghiniana+Bonaparte+presacral+vertebrae&sig=EQiy62j7H0JVF79flXO_2bIM9eA

Pellegrinisaurus

http://books.google.com/books?id=buhUpE5LLNkC&pg=PA355&dq=Pellegrinisaurus+powelli+33(4)&sig=DRbTk35DRatg2Hk_QaJgH9lVw7Y

Note, too, that Amazon's book search feature allows similar access to a number of otherwise hard to find descriptions, and don't forget to check the Polyglot Paleontologist website for translations for the above. (Only Pellegrinisaurus is in English.)

Take heart, a lot of freely available PDFs are out there to be discovered, and I can tell you from experience that polite correspondence goes a long way. (As others on the DML have noted, this frequently offers its own unique rewards!)

Best regards,
Rob Taylor
rjtaylor68@comcast.net