Re: Defining Ornithischia (was Re:)

Secondly, it sounds like Mr Peters is using a character-based definition for
Paraornithischia. However, from your description of "Paraornithischia" it
appears that this group is paraphyletic, and therefore not a clade. I'm not
certain that Mr Peters is aware of the difference.

Worse yet. It's not a definition in the first place -- it's a diagnosis.

While I am at it, Greek and Latin don't like vowel clusters in general and -ao- in particular. It should have been Parornithischia. But you're in good company -- everyone seems to use "epipophysis", which should be "epapophysis"...

For the record, I've seen the mounted skeleton of *Lotosaurus* in China. Has nothing in common with Ornithischia besides being a herbivorous archosaur. The whole skeleton (not just the ankle) screams "crurotarsan". For *Effigia* we have two descriptions that show it's not a dinosaur either...