RE: tetanurae

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tobi Hautekiet
>
> >From wat i understand this is wat the situation is
>
> dinosauria:ornithischia,saurischia/saurischia:herrerasauria,th
> eropoda,sauropodomorpha/theropoda:ceratosauria,tetanurae/tetan
> urae:spinosauridae!!!dingding!!
>
> if this is right do tell me, but i do know i left a whole lot
> of familie's out and maybe even a clade somewere but tell me,
> the baryonyx was a tetanurae right, i just asumed that from
> wat i know now that he wa a spinosauridae, i this right
>
> do tell me this, what are all the groups and familie's and
> clade's under theropoda...
> and t.-rex was a part of carnosauria right?

No.

NO.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Umm, no.

It is a coelurosaur.

It was included in Coelurosauria back in the 1920s, than was called a
"carnosaur" in the 1930s until the 1980s (because, like Allosaurus, it was
big), but various researchers demonstrated in the late 1980s and 1990s that
tyrannosaurids are just gigantic coelurosaurs.

>and is a carnosaur
> part of the tetanurae or of avetheropoda

Carnosaurs, and coelurosaurs, are both parts of Avetheropoda, which is part
of Tetanurae.

> by the way, this oktober in belgium there going to show a
> t.-rex...im exited by the way a diplodocus and a triceratops
> to, and of course the iguanodon's!!!
>
> this was the last time i bother you with a quistion, next
> time i'l just say if it's something important

Okay, here you go. You can follow along with the phylogenies here:
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/figures/104TheropodaPhyl.jpg
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/figures/104CoelurosauriaPhyl.jpg
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/figures/104EumaniraptoraPhyl.jpg

Theropoda
        Guaibasaurus
        Neotheropoda
                Coelophysoidea ("dilophosaurids" may actually be closer to
the next group)
                Averostra
                        Ceratosauria
                                Ceratosauridae
                                Abelisauroidea
                                        Noasauridae
                                        Abelisauridae
                        Tetanurae
                                Spinosauroidea
                                        Megalosauridae/Torvosauridae
                                        Spinosauridae
                                Avetheropoda
                                        Carnosauria
                                                Monolophosaurus
                                                Sinraptoridae
                                                Allosauridae
                                                Carcharodontosauridae
                                        Coelurosauria
                                                Ornitholestes,
Proceratosaurus, Tanycolagreus (may be primitive tyrannosauroids)
                                                Compsognathidae
                                                Tyrannoraptora
                                                        Tyrannosauroidea

Tyrannosauridae
                                                        Maniraptoriformes

Ornithomimosauria

Ornithomimidae
                                                                Maniraptora

Oviraptoriformes

Oviraptorosauria

Caenagnathoidea

Caenagnathidae

Oviraptoridae

Therizinosauria

Therizinosauroidea

Therizinosauridae

Paraves

Alvarezsauridae

Eumaniraptora

Deinonychosauria

Dromaeosauridae

Troodontidae

Avialae

the many many subgroups of Mesozoic "birds" and true birds

Whew...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216