Re: Eating New Papers

On 9/18/07, Jerry D. Harris <jharris@dixie.edu> wrote:

> Kirkland, J.I., and DeBlieux, D.D. 2007. New horned dinosaurs from the
> Wahweap Formation, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, southern
> Utah. Utah Geological Survey Notes 39(3):4-5.

"A final feature of considerable importance is the presence of an
extra hole in the side of the skull behind the nasal opening. This
opening is not present in the more advanced centrosaurines and
chasmosaurines, but is present in Zuniceratops and two closely
related species of protoceratopsids: Bagaceratops and the larger
Magnirostris. Magnirostris also possesses tiny horns over its eyes.
Thus, the Last Chance ceratopsian, together with Zuniceratops,
provides substantial evidence that among all the known Asian
protoceratopsians, Magnirostris is the closest relative of the large
horned ceratopsids of North America."

http://hdl.handle.net/2246/5808

Makovicky, P. and Norell, M. (2006). Yamaceratops dorngobiensis, a New
Primitive Ceratopsian (Dinosauria: Ornithischia) from the Cretaceous
of Mongolia. American Museum Novitates 3530: 1-42.

"Several recently named taxa were not included
in the analysis, because their validity is
considered questionable and all may represent
junior synonyms of known taxa. These taxa in
question are Bainoceratops (Tereschenko and
Alifanov, 2003), Lamaceratops, and Platyceratops
(Alifanov, 2003) from the Late Cretaceous
of Mongolia, and Magnisrostris
(You and Dong, 2003) from the Bayan
Mandahu locality in Inner Mongolia. The
three latter taxa have been suggested as close
relatives of Bagaceratops, but purportedly
differ from the ontogenetic series of Bagaceratops
at the Paleobiological Institute at the
Polish Academy of Sciences described by
Maryanska and Osmólska (1975)."

"Other supposed diagnostic features
of the three Bagaceratops relatives are artifacts
of preservation (e.g., incipient orbital horn
cores described in Magnirostris; You and
Dong, 2003), are observed to vary individually
among specimens of Bagaceratops (e.g., profile
of the nasal horn), or cannot be compared
to any of the Polish Academy of Sciences
specimens, because the latter do not preserve
the relevant parts (e.g., rostral of Magnirostris,
frill fenestrae of Platyceratops)."

Interesting discrepancy...

Nick Gardner