Re: Pleistocene/Holocene extinctions

A counter objection to climate change having fired the gun would be that
similar changes occurred before, and left no obvious signs of extinction.
Mammoth steppe, for example, had expanded and shrunk, expanded and shrunk
merrily and, regardless of the fluctuation, somewhere or other some mammoths
were still able to make a living and enjoy sexual relations (obviously only
within marriages involving one mammoth of each sex -this was before the
nastiness caused by apple-eating).

In some cases, it's hard to believe it wasn't funny primates with sticks
(and hard stones) what did it.  The case appears overwhelming for Madagascar
and New Zealand.  At least, it does from my not particularly well-informed
viewpoint.  Then again, those are geographically isolated places making
escape by migration elsewhere tricky.  The same often doesn't apply for dirt
big continents.

One possibility would be to combine both elements.  Mammoth numbers dwindled
due to a loss of mammoth steppe, and hungry humans -who had a history of
using some indiscriminate methods of mass slaughter, such as driving herds
of the things over convenient cliffs- carried on with their traditional
techniques.  As this was in combination with a much smaller target
population, the human normality could've been abnormally destructive.  I
voice this only as a possibility, not as anything as grand as a sketchy
hypothesis.