Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

Nick Page writes:

"One thing that puzzles me though is why these little dinosaurs have feathery structures on them (including their forelimbs) when they obviously can't begin to fly.

That may be true of adult animals, but what of juveniles with their relatively longer forelimbs and much smaller mass? Perhaps dromaeosaurs in general out-grew their ability to fly (or at least 'flutter').

We know from fossils that juvenile dromaeosaurids had fully-developed feathered fans on their forelimbs. If 'wings' were primarily used as sexual displays or brooding equipment in dromaeosaurs, then you wouldn't expect them to develop until adulthood. That tends to suggest that either juvenile volancy, or their use as running aids, are more likely contenders for the *primary* use of dromaeosaur 'wings'. Personally, I consider both ideas equally likely (and not necessarily mutually exclusive).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist              geo cities.com/dannsdinosaurs
Melbourne, Australia             heretichides.soffiles.com