Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dora Smith" <villandra@austin.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:02 AM

I know it's heresy to point this out - but dinosaurs first had feathers for
warmth.   And probably also for display.

Heresy? That has been orthodoxy for 11 years (since the discovery of *Sinosauropteryx*).

But I read both the Yahoo news article, adn the Discovery news article, and
it's missing some key information.

No, the fossil is missing some key information.

Where on its body did Velociraptor have these feathers?

We have no idea, because the direct evidence for feathers is limited to the quill knobs, which show that wing feathers were present on the forearm. (Or, strictly speaking, on the middle 1/3 of the forearm.) However, wing feathers are a specialized sort of feathers, so an animal that has only them and no other feathers would be unexpected, and we already know that, whenever preservation allows it, maniraptorans in general have feathers all over, so the simplest assumption is that *Velociraptor* was feathered all over, too.

An interesting question is whether wing feathers were also present along the hand, including the 2nd finger, but the fossil doesn't tell that.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dann Pigdon" <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 4:02 AM

That may be true of adult animals, but what of juveniles with their
relatively longer forelimbs and much smaller mass? Perhaps dromaeosaurs in
general out-grew their ability to fly (or at least 'flutter').

Interesting idea.

We know from fossils that juvenile dromaeosaurids had fully-developed
feathered fans on their forelimbs.

One of them anyway (NGMC 91).