Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

--- Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> It didn't occur to anybody that these animals once
> had wings until they
> started trying to explain why they have qill marks
> on the bones of their
> forelimbs.

Er..well, Gregory S. Paul has been arguing for several
years that some small theropods, particularly
dromaeosaurs, were secondarily flightless:

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Air-Evolution-Flight-Birds/dp/0801867630

The quill nodes are yet another character which is
consistent with this hypothesis.  In his book, Greg
lists 38 characters which he interprets as evidence
for dromaeosaurs being secondarily flightless.  The
dromaeosaur Rahonavis also has quill nodes, Though
according to the recent Science paper by Turner et al,
Rahonvis belongs to a separate lineage of dromaeosaurs
from that of Velociraptor.

Guy Leahy