Re: coelophysis

On 9/23/07, Brandon Pilcher <trex_kid@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How large are the _Carnotaurus_ samples? If they constitute a similarly small
> percentage of the animal's skin, we cannot rule out feathery integument
> elsewhere
> on its body, either.

As I recall, almost the entire right side of at least one specimen has
preserved skin impressions. So, for now at least, _Carnotaurus_ is
pretty securely unfeathered. Ergo, unless _Carnotaurus_ represents a
reversal, feathers evolved at the earliest in early tetanurans or at
the latest in early coelurosaurs. Good impressions of
non-coelurosaurian tetanuran skin would help pin it down more
precisely.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology