To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

All known Cenozoic birds share a number of unique weirdnesses, for example -- off the top of my head! -- 15-upwards sacral vertebrae, a bony bridge over a tendon at the foot end of the shinbone, a complete lack of teeth (that's not unique, but it's unique compared to the close relative *Ichthyornis*), and probably dozens of others that must be hidden in huge studies like the recent one by Livezey & Zusi.

What I'm saying is that if a number of lines of dinosaurs were structured
exactly like birds and were fully flighted, this supports the idea that
modern birds may not all be of one lineage.

But...

- wouldn't that amount of convergence be a bit improbable?

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.