RE: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

Sorry, Hotmail spontaneously switched the default for my previous messages to
rich text, just to piss me off.  Take two...

________________________________
Tom Holtz wrote:

> Depends on the orientation and length of the secondaries, mostly.
> Dromaeosaurid arm motions would be relative constrained, like birds, so as
> long as the feathers are oriented in such a way as not to bang up too much,
> they should be a problem. After all, some birds flap their arms rather fast
> and vigorously without the feathers getting in the way.

Good point.  What I had in mind was not so much the arm motions
(flexion/folding or extension/reaching) but the 'business end' of the predatory
stroke.  I agree that the feathers, if appropriately oriented, would not
interfere with flexion (folding) or extension (reaching) of the forelimbs, even
during rapid extension.  But when the predator grabs the prey with its hands,
then those big long feathers could be broken or yanked out by struggling prey -
especially the large struggling prey that _Velociraptor_ appears to have
targeted.

Cheers

Tim

More photos; more messages; more whatever – Get MORE with Windows Live™
Hotmail®. NOW with 5GB storage.