RE: coelophysis

Brandon Pilcher wrote:

> Carnotaurus is a fairly (albeit not terrifically) big dinosaur. Perhaps, like
> the larger Cretaceous tyrannosaurids, it was
>descended from feathered/downy ancestors but lost them as its size increased.
>The existence of this possibility means that we
> cannot rule out down or feathers for the smaller Coelophysis.

I tend to agree.  Although at the moment the phylogenetic bracket for feathers
(including 'protofeathers') is limited to Coelurosauria, or one of its
constituent clades.

Louis Bérubé wrote:

> As to feathers, the chance of them being on a theropod this basal is
> very slim- osteoderms are present on more derived theropods. Unless
> you're George Olshevsky.

"BCF" is a crock (tree-dwelling sauropods, flying tyrannosaurs, etc), but the
idea of Late Triassic theropods such as _Coelophysis_ being feathered is much
more plausible.  Further, the idea that basal neotheropods (or theropods)
possessed a feather-like body covering is a testable phylogenetic hypothesis;
BCF is not (at least not in its current form).

Cheers

Tim
Gear up for Halo® 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer. It’s our way of
saying thanks for using Windows Live™.
http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_WLHMTxt_2