Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

On 9/24/07, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, the fact that _Velociraptor_ has quill knobs and clearly did *not* fly,
> adds an element of doubt to the idea that _Rahonavis_ was capable of powered
> flight because it had quill knobs too.

Or, indeed, the idea that any coelurosaur with remiges (e.g.
_Archaeopteryx_, _Microraptor_) is capable of powered flight.
(Although we already knew that, thanks to _Caudipteryx_ and
_Protarchaeopteryx_.)

Powered flight seems pretty secure for
_Ornithurae_/_Pygostylia_/_Avebrevicauda_. Beyond that, though, what
do we really know? We have some stuff with wings, and many people
assume the small ones flew and the big ones didn't, but, for all we
know, _Archaeopteryx_ may not be avialan (sensu Gauthier and de
Queiroz 2001). Or, conversely, _Avialae_ might include most of
_Maniraptora_.

--
Mike Keesey